Advertisement

Shamcey's Mistake

Shamcey Supsup romped off the stage in her skimpy yellow two-piece with the blue sarong wrapped around her neck during the coronation night of the 2011 Miss Universe in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The Filipina beauty finished fourth (just ahead of Miss China, the fifth finisher) in this year's Miss U pageant. Shamcey said she did not expect to land in the Top Ten because she committed a big mistake when she forgot to take off the sarong from her waist because she was so caught up with the walk and the camera around. She took off the sarong eventually when she had her second round on stage and wrapped it around her neck.

Her mistake passed unnoticed....in fact, I was not even aware it was a mistake, really. But when Miss Philippines, Shamcey Supsup, was interviewed by Dyan Castillejo of ABS-CBN, she revealed that she did not expect to land in the final cut of Top  Ten finalists because she forgot to take off her "sarong" (the blue transparent cloth used to cover the lower part of the contestants during the swimsuit competition) as she was so caught up with the walk and the camera. 

She felt that it was a huge blunder which might affect the decisions of the judges during the final round of the swimsuit competition. She also added that her heart beat hammered fast behind her ribcage when the Top Five was called. She said that she was praying hard to make it to the top five because she wanted the whole Philippines to be very proud of her and that she prayed a lot the whole time.

Actually that was what I was scared about. Will I win? I prayed hard. I said to Him I’m gonna do my best for my country for them to be proud of me and please grant me my heart’s desire. That’s just between me and Him. I’m just so happy, very fulfilled,” Shamcey said

When she heard the question thrown by Vivica Fox about whether to give up her religion to marry the man she loves, that's when she knew God was with her because as destiny would have it, the question   was all about faith and religion, and she knew right then what answer to give.

During that time, my heart was beating so fast, I was praying, ‘Give me wisdom. Whatever it is, whatever comes out of my mouth will come from you. Then, they asked me about religion,” She realled.

Glamshot of Shamcey
The Top Five finalists, from left: Miss Ukraine, Miss Philippines, Miss China, Miss Brazil and Miss Angola

Well, as we knew already, Shamcey gave an answer that would make her very famous, like a celebrity, when she strongly defended her faith.

“If I had to change my religious beliefs, I would not marry the person that I love because the first person that I love is God who created me and I have my faith and my principles and this is what makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God too.

And as we knew too, her answer created a phenomenon and forever lived in the consciousness of Filipino people. Everybody loves it because it has something to do with the very foundation of Filipino values,--principle and religion.

It carries a great impact indeed...This made me wonder now, what is really the final criteria of choosing the next Miss Universe?

When Lea Salonga, one of the judges, was interviewed why she gave Miss Angola a very easy question, she said that it was a pre-written question, that Miss Universe organizers gave each one of the judges a written question to be asked to the contestants. Lea said that she placed Shamcey on the highest rank but she was unsure how the other judges ranked Shamcey.

The manner of judging during the final round of Miss Universe is done through ranking. Each judge will  rank the contestants, assigning number one (1) for  their choice of a winner, who ever got the lowest number, is the winner. For example, If Miss Angola got a score of 10, Ukraine a score of 15 and Miss Philippines 20. The winner is Miss Angola followed by Miss Ukraine then Miss Philippines. 

Well, it's been three days since the coronation night of the 2011 Miss Universe, but the debate of whether the final decision of the panel of judges placing Shamcey on the fourth spot was fair, continue to dominate the conversation of most Filipino folks. Was it justifiable? 

This issue eventually became very controversial even more when one article revealed that Oprah Winfrey, the Queen of Talk in America, declared her disappointment. She was quoted saying these lines: 

"I have reservations with the results. If the only basis is the Q and A portion, after having been trimmed down to 5, Ms. Philippines deserved to win. What made her different from the rest is that she had no seconds to rethink of her answer as she had no interpreter to break the ice. The rest had their interpreters and having breaks on seconds to think about their answers. Hands down, Ms. Philippines answered straight to the point."

But days later, Oprah's supposed statement was denied by an NBC spokesman, telling there was no truth that Oprah actually uttered it. Well, whether she said it or not, it's just mean that the final decision stirred the consciousness of people from different walks of life, how come one will be put in the lower rank of the contest when she actually blurted words directly from her heart when others were answering through interpreters and we don't even know the authenticity of those words? (if those were actually the real answers uttered by the non-English speaking contestants).

Well, lots of things had been said regarding the result and the manner of judging, so we have to stop it and just accept Shamcey's fate, may be it's not yet the right time for the Philippines to have another Miss Universe title holder.

Shamcey herself was even amazed with the overwhelming support of fellow Pinoys. Asking about how it feels to earn a never-ending support from her kababayans...Shamcey quickly replied...

That alone makes me a winner. I feel like a winner even if I don’t have a crown. Miriam Quiambao told me this; she doesn’t wear a crown on her head. She wears it in her heart. And I wear my crown in my heart,”  She said.


Feel like a beauty queen with this collection of lingerie



Email

Post a Comment

0 Comments